Monday, October 20, 2008

Web 2.0 Award site

I've been wanting to create my family tree for awhile now. Mostly, I want to see how far back I can go, but there's always that hope that I'm related to someone famous. So I decided to play on the geni.com site.

It's really easy to use--just click on the arrows to select people you want to add. You can add pictures, video, and all sorts of information to each person's profile. You can even have the site give you birthday reminders. And there's a map where you can show the different areas of the world where your family lives. Most of mine live in the same area, but I can appreciate a tool like this.

It took me awhile to figure out how to add exes into the mix. For a little while I had some relatives that appeared to be married to two people! The site also assumed that my great-grandparents were deceased, which isn't the case (my great-grandmother is still alive). The only other gripe I have about the site is that there isn't a selection for adopted children. Sure, adopted children aren't technically part of my family, but it would be nice to have them in there so they aren't left out.

Another good feature of this site is the share feature. Only you, or members of your family, can view the tree, but you can e-mail relatives the link so they can make changes. That way the tree can grow without a lot of work from one person. Then again, my grandmothers, who would know the most about the family, don't really use the computer much, so I'd probably still have to do it the old fashioned way and just ask.

No comments: