Monday, October 27, 2008

WorldCat

For the CML toolbox exercise I decided to explore WorldCat. I'd heard of it before, but never spent a large amount of time trying it out. It has some neat features with it, like having a list of libraries that have the item your searching for in order by distance (and even tells you how far that library is). It also links to Amazon.com if you want to purchase the item.

Unfortunately for me, the books I was looking for could only be found at librarys at least 300 miles away, and are out of print, so there aren't even that many options for purchasing them. I also wish there was more information about the books on WorldCat. Then again, these results probably aren't typical since the books I was searching for are very specific and don't have the mass appeal that others might have. I should search for something I know should have more detail to see how it compares.

No comments: